Also called aubergine or brinjal, it is an egg-shaped vegetable having a shiny skin typically dark purple but occasionally white or yellow. It is a hairy upright herb native to southeastern Asia but widely cultivated for its large glossy edible fruit commonly used as a vegetable.
Other names: Deep Purple/Black Eggplant Striped Eggplant White Eggplant Japanese Eggplant Eggplant
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||104 kJ (25 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||3 g|
|Pantothenic acid (B5)|
|†Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults. |
Source: USDA Nutrient Database
- Are you aware that eggplants are a member of the nightshade family? (They are closely related to tomatoes, potatoes and hot peppers.)
- Are you aware that the first eggplants were white and looked like eggs when hanging from the plant?
- Are you aware that eggplants are purple, green, white, striped and even orange? (The common variety in the U.S. is deep purple to almost black.)
- Are you aware that eggplants are commonly used a meat substitute?
- Are you aware that most eggplants are pear shaped or elongated?
- Are you aware that eggplant range in size from a golf ball to a football?
- Are you aware that eggplants contain small, soft, edible, bitter seeds?
- Are you aware that eggplant is not eaten raw? (It is too bitter!)
- Are you aware that there are Japanese/Oriental/Chinese eggplants that have the shape of a cucumber and a thin edible skin?
- Are you aware that that in the U.S. --- Florida and New Jersey are the top producers of eggplant?
- Are you aware that if you rinse and salt eggplant it helps eliminate the bitterness and prevents it from absorbing a lot of oil when frying or sautéing this vegetable?
- Are you aware that eggplant is a berry that forms after the flower drops? (Early in the season eggplants produce star-shaped blue-violet flowers.)
- Are you aware that that some cultures still think the eggplant is poisonous? (A legend has it that an Indian ate some raw bitter eggplant and had a fit. People thought the eggplant had poisoned him. In some areas it is known as “mad apple”, “bad egg’ or “bad apple”.)
- Are you aware that there are male and female eggplants? (Check the blossom end. The male has a round mark and the female an oval mark. Females are firmer, have fewer seeds and are less bitter.)
- Are you aware that the Italians prepare a dish with eggplant and various vegetables called “gumbroit” and the French cook a similar dish but call it “ratatouille”?
Keto scale Eggplant
- Lower the number, better it is on a keto or low carb diet
- Net carbs is calculated by total carbohydrates minus fiber
Also see carb counter
Nutritional information on Eggplant
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs