Jump to navigation Jump to search
Interesting facts about Spinach
- Are you aware that there are three different varieties of spinach? (The three varieties are: Flat or Smooth Leaf which has smooth leaves, Savoy which has curly leaves and Semi-Savoy which has slightly curly leaves.)
- Are you aware that spinach originated in ancient Persia? (Today this land is known as Iran.)
- Are you aware that three-fourths of the spinach consumed in the U.S. is in the fresh form?
- Are you aware that the consumption of spinach in the U.S. has been on the rise over the last several years? (The popularity of this vegetable has increased as a result of the triple-washed, cello-packed spinach and baby spinach.)
- Are you aware that New Jersey ranks 3rd in spinach production in the country?
- Are you aware that that spinach is rich in iron and vitamins A, C and K? (Iron transports oxygen to your cells. Vitamin A is important for cell growth, for fighting off diseases and for good vision. Vitamin C is needed by the body to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle, and blood vessels, and aids in the absorption of iron. Vitamin K keeps your blood healthy.)
- Are you aware that spinach contains phytochemicals (pronounce “fight-o-chemicals”), which help protect themselves from insects and help protect your health too?
- Are you aware that you can find spinach in your local supermarket in the following forms --- fresh, canned or frozen?
- Are you aware that eating and preparing spinach is simple because it can be eaten raw or cooked?
- Are you aware that you can prepare spinach as a salad, a hot vegetable, a creamy soup, a soufflé, add it to vegetarian lasagna or combine it with cheese as a stuffing for raviolis?
- Are you aware that spinach can contain a lot of grainy dirt particles and, therefore, should be washed thoroughly and gently to avoid tearing the leaves?
- Are you aware that slightly damp spinach can be steamed or microwaved without adding any additional water?
- Are you aware that the United States is the second largest producer of spinach in the world? (China is the largest producer.)
- Are you aware that California, Arizona and New Jersey are the top spinach producing states?
Nutritional information on Spinach
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs