Keto scale Spinach
- Lower the number, better it is on a keto or low carb diet
- Net carbs is calculated by total carbohydrates minus fiber
Also see carb counter
The three varieties are: Flat or Smooth Leaf which has smooth leaves, Savoy which has curly leaves and Semi-Savoy which has slightly curly leaves.
- Spinach originated in ancient Persia (Iran)
About three-fourths of the spinach consumed in the U.S. is in the fresh form while the rest is used in making various dishes.
The consumption of spinach in the U.S. has been on the rise over the last several years? (The popularity of this vegetable has increased as a result of the triple-washed, cello-packed spinach and baby spinach.)
- Spinach contains phytochemicals (pronounce “fight-o-chemicals”), which help protect themselves from insects and help us as it has anti-oxidant properties.
Spinach is available as fresh, canned or frozen.
Raw or cooked?
- Spinach can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Spinach can contain a lot of grainy dirt particles and, therefore, should be washed thoroughly and gently to avoid tearing the leaves.
You can prepare spinach as a salad, a hot vegetable, a creamy soup, a soufflé, add it to vegetarian lasagna or combine it with cheese as a stuffing for raviolis. Slightly damp spinach can be steamed or microwaved without adding any additional water.
Production in US
- United States is the second largest producer of spinach in the world? (China is the largest producer.)
- In the US, California, Arizona and New Jersey are the top spinach producing states.
Nutritional information on Spinach
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs