URGENT:COVID prophylaxis | Vitamin D | Latest research | NIH | CDC | Worldometer
- REPRESENTATIVE TRADE NAMES
Orlistat – Generic, Alli®, Xenical®
- DRUG CLASS
Weight Loss Agents
- Product labeling at DailyMed, National Library of Medicine, NIH
- COMPLETE LABELING
- 1 Indications (use) - Orlistat
- 2 Mechanism of action of Orlistat
- 3 FDA approval information for Orlistat
- 4 Dosage and administration for Orlistat
- 5 Absorption of Orlistat
- 6 Side effects of Orlistat
- 7 How Can W8MD Help?
- 8 W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa center locations
- 9 Medication resources
- 10 Learn more
Indications (use) - Orlistat
Orlistat is an inhibitor of pancreatic and gastric lipase and a commonly used weight loss agent that is available both by prescription and over-the-counter.
Mechanism of action of Orlistat
Orlistat (or' li stat) is a tetrahydrolipstatin, a saturated derivative of lipstatin which is a potent natural inhibitor of gastric and pancreatic lipase. Orlistat when taken with meals inhibits the digestion of dietary fats and prevents their absorption, thus reducing caloric intake. When used in conjunction with caloric restriction and exercise, orlistat improves weight loss.
FDA approval information for Orlistat
Dosage and administration for Orlistat
Orlistat is available by prescription as capsules of 120 mg in generic forms and under the trade name Xenical and over-the-counter as capsules of 60 mg under the trade name Alli. The usual dose is one capsule three times daily before meals.
Absorption of Orlistat
Orlistat is minimally, if at all, absorbed/
Side effects of Orlistat
Its side effects are largely due to its effect on fat absorption including abdominal discomfort, bloating, gaseousness, diarrhea, fecal leakage and steatorrhea (oily stools and fat-soluble vitamin malabsorption). Symptoms are particularly prominent if orlistat is given before a high fat meal and they tend to lessen with more prolonged therapy (perhaps due to its adverse effects, leading to a lower fat diet).
How Can W8MD Help?
W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program is unique in many ways with a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to weight loss that addresses all the complex issues leading to weight gain, both in adults and children. Since its inception in 2011, W8MD has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
Sleep medicine program uses state of the art technology including the convenient home sleep studies or in lab sleep diagnostic studies to diagnose and treat over 80 different sleep disorders including sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless leg syndrome, insomnia to name a few. Learn more…
Medical aesthetic program offers a wide variety of advanced laser skin treatments including oxygen super facials, photofacials, microneedling, PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy, non-ablative laser skin resurfacing,botox, fillers and aesthetic treatments. The variety of technology and technique, combined with knowledgeable staff, allows doctors to customize treatment plans to each patient. One-size-fits-all procedures are not performed at W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Aesthetic Centers. Learn more…
IM and IV nutrition therapy includes booster shots for B12, vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Detox treatments and IV nutrition therapy. Studies have shown that as many as 39% of those taking vitamins on a regular basis in a nursing home setting were not absorbing the same vitamins they are taking by mouth leading to significant deficiencies. Learn more…
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa center locations
- NE Philadelphia weight loss, sleep and medspa at 1718 Welsh Road, 2nd Floor, Ste C Philadelphia PA, 19115
- Wayne (King of Prussia weight loss) at 987 Old Eagle School Road, Building K, Ste 712, Wayne PA 19087
- New York city weight loss, Sleep & MedSpa - 2632 E 21st Street Ste L2 Brooklyn New York 11235.
- Manhattan weight loss, sleep and MedSpa - 401 E. 55th Street New York New York 10022.
Call 718-946-5500 for either location.
- NJ weight loss, sleep and medical spa in New Jersey at Cherry Hill, NJ at 140 E. Evesham Road, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003.