Dates are the edible and sweet fruit which grow on the date palm tree.They contain 20 calories,0 grams of fat,and 0.1% of vitamin C. Those who eat adequate amounts of dates are at healthier weights and have a reduced risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
Interesting facts about Dates
- Are you aware that dates originated in the Middle East and Northern Africa?
- Are you aware that dates are grown on date palm trees?
- Are you aware that dates are grown in desert environments?
- Are you aware that the word date comes from the Greek word for “finger”? (The fruit’s elongated shape resembles a finger.)
- Are you aware that dates contain a single seed?
- Are you aware that dates are the only naturally dehydrated whole fruit? (They contain little water; only 30% moisture.)
- Are you aware that mature date palm trees produce between 176 - 264 pounds of dates in one harvest season?
- Are you aware that dates contain many minerals that work in harmony to lower blood pressure? (The minerals include calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, iron, selenium and potassium.)
- Are you aware that an unripe date is bright red or bright yellow?
- Are you aware that fresh dates are deep brown and plump? (Fresh dates contain less sugar and more fiber than dried dates.)
- Are you aware that dates do not need to be refrigerated?
- Are you aware that dates can be eaten out-of-hand, stuffed with fillings such as almonds, walnuts or cream cheese, or chopped and used in desserts such as puddings, cookies and breads?
- Are you aware that in ancient times, a bowl of dates was offered at a meal as a sign of hospitality to a guest? (Many cultures continue this custom.)
- Are you aware that Egypt, Iran and Saudi Arabia are the top producers of dates?
- Are you aware that the primary states in the U.S. growing dates are southern California, Arizona and southern Florida?
Nutritional information on Dates
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs