Yellow summer squash
(Redirected from Yellow Summer Squash)
Interesting facts about Yellow Summer Squash
- Are you aware that yellow squash is classified as a “summer squash”?
- Are you aware that squash comes in two different varieties ---summer and winter?
- Are you aware that summer squash has a soft, edible, thin shell or skin and winter squash has a hard shell or skin?
- Are you aware that the seeds of yellow squash are soft and edible?
- Are you aware that yellow squash is entirely edible? (Eat the skin, flesh and seeds.)
- Are you aware that the skin of yellow squash is yellow and the flesh is white to off-white?
- Are you aware that you can eat yellow squash raw and it is great with low fat dip?
- Are you aware that yellow squash has a high water content and if overcooked will turn to mush?
- Are you aware that yellow squash is low in calories because it is over 90% water?
- Are you aware that yellow squash has a mild flavor? (When cooked, it combines well with herbs and seasonings.)
- Are you aware that yellow squash is available with a crooked neck and with a straight neck? (Their names are --- “Yellow Crookneck” and “Yellow Straightneck”.)
- Are you aware that the skin and rind of summer squash is a source of beta-carotene (vitamin A) but the fleshy portion is not? (Eat the entire squash for a healthy diet. Vitamin A is important for cell growth and development, for fighting off diseases and for good vision.)
- Are you aware that squash was a common food eaten by Native Americans for more than five thousand years before Europeans settlers arrived?
- Are you aware that the word squash comes from the Algonquin word askutasquash which means “eaten raw”?
|Fiber, total dietary||1.1 g|
|Calcium, Ca||15 mg|
|Iron, Fe||0.35 mg|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||17 mg|
|Total lipid (fat)||0.18 g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||3.35 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||2.2 g|
|Sodium, Na||2 mg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||0.044 g|
|Ingredients||Squash, summer, all varieties, raw g|
Nutritional information on Yellow summer squash
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs