W8MD weight loss diet
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Physician supervised weight loss
- 3 Science of obesity medicine
- 4 VLCD diet plan
- 5 Meal replacements
- 6 W8MD weight loss plan
- 7 Appetite suppression
- 8 Exercise
- 9 Diet - think protein
- 10 8 Amazing weeks of weight loss
- 11 Foods you can eat
- 12 Drinks
- 13 Sweeteners
- 14 Meats
- 15 Fats
- 16 Dairy
- 17 Herbs
- 18 Net carbohydrates
- 19 List of foods to prefer
- 20 Use sparingly
- 21 Avoid as much as possible
- 22 Things to avoid
- 23 Sample meal plan
- 24 500 plus keto friendly recipes
- 25 Also see
- 26 keto friendly recipes
W8MD medical weight loss centers of America is a physician weight loss program started by Prab R. Tumpati, MD with multiple locations in the United States, primarily in the North East including New York City, Philadelphia and New Jersey. Dr. Tumpati is a board certified physician with practice areas of obesity medicine, sleep medicine, internal medicine and medical aesthetics, and also the founder of WikiMD.org.
Physician supervised weight loss
According to W8MD, their physicians understand that weight loss is a complex process that needs careful monitoring by an obesity medicine physician well versed with the concepts in obesity medicine.
Science of obesity medicine
In order to help you lose weight, the W8MD program aims to supply the body with nutrition at a regular interval with limited calories but adequate protein and other nutrition the body needs.
The key to losing weight is, according to Dr. Tumpati, is to provide all the nutrients the body needs at about half the calories or less so that the body has to tap in to your stores for the remaining calories.
VLCD diet plan
The simplest way to provide the balanced nutrition at very limited calories is to use prepackaged meal replacement diet plans such as VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) or LCD (Low Calorie Diet) Plans. However, you can choose to prepare your own meals with instructions from W8MD, should you feel you cannot afford or do not wish to use the Meal Replacement Plans.
Although the meal replacements are optional, they are a clinically proven method with over 100 studies showing their efficacy. At W8MD, we offer the top quality balanced protein based meal replacements at very affordable prices.
W8MD weight loss plan
Historically, we as humans, evolved as hunters and gatherers for long part of our existence as a species. If humans lived on the Earth for 2 million years, agriculture only started about 5000-10,000 years ago. So, we are genetically programmed to eat fat, and protein which comes from hunting for meat and vegetables, nuts, and fruits which comes from gathering.
W8MD weight loss centers programs offer clinically proven non-surgical weight loss measures including FDA approved appetite suppressants such as Phentermine, Phendimetrazine, Diethylpropion, Contrave, Saxenda, Qsymia or generic combination of Phentermine and Topiramate (very popular and one of the most effective)
The role of exercise for weight loss is misunderstood. Recent evidence shows that the traditional thinking that you need to exercise in order to lose weight is flawed. In large scale studies, exercise is shown only to help maintain weight at the population level and not as much for weight loss. Having said that, we do recommend combining some exercise, especially cardio type exercises, for about 30-60 minutes along with a VLCD diet for optimal results.
Diet - think protein
Supplying the body with high glycemic carbohydrates without adequate protein leads to insulin resistance, the root cause of metabolic syndrome leading to belly fat, risk of diabetes, heart disease and other health issues including increased risk of cancer.
8 Amazing weeks of weight loss
- 800-1200 calorie Meal Replacement Plans or food prepared with our instruction.
- Walk 8000 steps a day, not counting activities of daily living.
- Drink 8 glasses of water or more a day
- Sleep up to 8 hours a day
- Lose up to 8 lbs in 2 weeks and get closer to your figure 8 body!
Foods you can eat
- Any variety of meat or fish
- Any type of vegetables except potatoes, corn, English peas or carrots
- You can eat cheese including cottage cheese, but no rice cheese
- Use butter, not margarine
- Use real mayonnaise not light mayonnaise
- Eat 4 to 6 small meals, aiming for a total of 800-1200 calories depending your body weight, and as recommended by a physician, each meal with 150 calories except dinner that can go up to 400 calories, and net carbohydrates of about 20-30 per day.
- Cauliflower rice, tofu noodles, veggie noodles or zucchini pasta
You can drink a wide variety of beverages while the W8MD program. The two taboos for this category are sugar in any form, and caffeine.
- Water, sparkling or still
- No-calorie flavored seltzer
- You may have soda if sweetened with NutraSweet or other artificial sweetener.
- You may have ice cream if made without sugar
- Avoid Lemon or lime juice or other fruit juices
Any artificial, non-sugar sweetener is permitted.
- All unprocessed meats, including beef, pork, lamb, veal, mutton, venison, and ham. Bacon is allowed if it is not processed with sugar; if nitrite-free bacon is available, it is preferable.
No imitation crab
Imitation crab or other imitation shellfish products are forbidden.
Most fats are allowed, however, no trans fatty acids. Prefer these fats:
- Chicken fat, and duck fat
- Coconut oil
- MCT oil
- Avocado oil
- Macadamia oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coconut butter
Cheese:full-fat cow cheese including cottage cheese, ream cheese, cheddar cheese, brie cheese, mozzarella cheese, Swiss cheese, goat cheese, or sheep's milk cheeses, as well as soy cheese, are permitted and they may be either hard or soft cheeses.
The allowed herbs include: Basil, Black pepper, Cayenne, Cardamom, Chili powder, Cilantro, Cinnamon, Cumin, Curry powder, Garam masala, Ginger, Garlic, Nutmeg, Oregano, Onion, Paprika, Parsley, Rosemary, Sea salt, Sage, Thyme, Turmeric, White pepper
Goal of 20-30 grams of net carbohydrates per day. (net carbs = total carbs - fiber carbs)
List of foods to prefer
The net carbs is in the parenthesis, portion one cup unless otherwise stated. Choose dark-green vegetables such as spinach, amaranth leaves, basil, beet greens, bok choy, broccoli, chamnamul, chrysanthemum leaves, chard, cilantro, collards, cress, dandelion greens, kale, mustard greens, poke greens, romaine lettuce, spinach, nettles, taro leaves, turnip greens, and watercress.
Foods with net carbs of below 5 per cup
- Asparagus (2.4)
- Green beans (2.9)
- String beans ( 1 cup) (2.6)
- Olives ( one lage-0.2)
- Bok choy (0.7)
- Broccoli (1.7)
- Escarole (1 cup) (2.0)
- Cabbage (1.1)
- Cauliflower (1.5)
- Celery (0.8)
- Collard greens (3)
- Cucumber (1.8)
- Eggplant (2)
- Lettuce (0.5)
- Mushroom (1)
- Blackberries 1⁄4 cup (2.7)
- Red peppers (3.3)
- Spinach (0.2)
- Tomato (3.2)
- Zucchini (3.3)
- Onion (4)
- Green peppers (3.4)
- Spices ( 1 tsf)]] (2.7)
- Pickle ( 1 medium) (2)
- Garlic ( 1 tsf) (0.8)
- Radish (0.5)
- Saurkraut (1 cup) (2.0)
Allowed fruits Net carbs of up to 5
- Avocado ( Half of small one) 1
- Watermelon 1⁄4 cup (2.4)
- Blueberry 1⁄4 cup (4.1)
- Lemon (1 fruit ) (3.4)
- Strawberry 1 piece (0.7)
- Apricot 1 small (35 gm) (3.2)
- Cantaloupe( 1/8 of sm. melon) (4)
- Cranberries, 1⁄4 cup (2)
- Passion fruit 1 small (2.3)
Net carbs of 5-10
- Artichoke (6.9)
- Beets (6.5)
- Brussels sprouts (7.6)
- Carrot (5)
- Parsnip (9)
- Peas (6.5)
- Pumpkin (6.3)
- Kiwi (8)
Avoid as much as possible
(Net carbs of >10)
- Banana one medium 24
- Orange ( 1 small) 12
- Grapefruit (1⁄2 small) 11
- Grapes ( 1 cup) 15
- Mango ( 1 fruit) 45
- Plantain ( half) 27
- Plum (1 cup) 17
- Apples ( medium) 21
- Peaches ( one small) 11.7
- Pineapple ( 1 cup) 19.7
- Pears 21
Things to avoid
- Avoid all forms of bread (loaf, muffins, rolls, buns, wraps, pita, burrito, bagels, pretzels, sandwiches)
- No sweets (candy, desserts, honey, cake, chocolate, sugar, syrup, ice cream, pastry, cookies)
- No fast food (chinese food, tacos, noodles, french fries, burgers, pizza, hot dogs, spaghetti etc.)
- No rice, no soda, milk, juices, alcohol
Sample meal plan
|Breakfast||Egg with Canadian bacon or Turkey bacon||
|Morning snack||Protein bar, shake or Peanut butter ball
(serving size: one shake or 0.5 ounce or peanut butter)
|Lunch||Tuna salad (alternatives: chicken, egg salad or protein bar or shake)||
|Afternoon snack (alteratives:protein shake or bar)||Keto yogurt (look for net carbs of 7 or below), alternatives:protein shake
(serving size: 1.3 ounces)
|Dinner (alternatives:fish / chicken / pork chops)||Cheeseburger (no bun)|
|Evening snack||Keto custard, protein shake
(serving size: 1.2 ounces)
500 plus keto friendly recipes
- Over 500 keto friendly recipes (Diet Doctor)
- 500 keto friendly recipes list on Pinterest
- Keto friendly recipes list
- Netrition low carb products
- Priemer protein shakes
- Keto snacks
Ethnic keto foods
|This food-related article is a stub. You can help WikiMD by expanding it.|