Olive oil is one of the healthier cooking oil derived from olives. Based on how the oil is obtained and refined, percentage of the free fatty acid content, also known as oleic acid, olive oil has many grades as noted below.
Grades of olive oils
- U.S. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is virgin olive oil has the free fatty acid called oleic acid, of not more than 0.8 grams per 100 grams. The extra virgin olive oil is considered the healthiest of the various varieties of olive oil.
- U.S. Virgin Olive Oil is virgin olive oil has oleic acid, of not more than 2.0 grams per 100 grams.
- U.S. Virgin Olive Oil Not Fit For Human Consumption Without Further Processing sometimes designated as “U.S. Lampante Virgin Olive Oil,” is virgin olive oil which has poor flavor and odor with free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of more than 2.0 grams per 100 grams.
- U.S. Olive Oil is the oil consisting of a blend of refined olive oil and virgin olive oils fit for consumption without further processing with free fatty acids (oleic acid), of not more than 1.0 gram per 100 grams.
- U.S. Refined Olive Oil is the olive oil obtained from virgin olive oils with a free fatty acid content, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.3 grams per 100 grams
Which olive oil is healthier?
In general, the more refined extra virgin olive is considered better for health as it has less saturated fat.
Keto friendliness of olive oil
As olive oil has very low carbohydrate content, with higher fat content, it is considered very keto friendly.
How is olive oil obtained?
Olive oil is obtained by pressing the ripe olives, a tree crop of the Mediterranean, in a traditional press. It is one of the very few oils obtained without any chemical processing and is used in cooking and as a salad dressing.
|Fiber, total dietary||0 g|
|Calcium, Ca||1 mg|
|Iron, Fe||0.56 mg|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||0 mg|
|Total lipid (fat)||100 g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||0 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||0 g|
|Sodium, Na||2 mg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||13.808 g|
|Ingredients||Oil, olive, salad or cooking g|
Nutritional information on Olive oil
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs
Portal:Food | Glossary of healthy eating | UK Foods | US Foods | Dietary Supplements | Nutrition values of foods | Encyclopedia of nutrition | Calorie Finder | Nutrition Database | Glycemic Index of Foods | Protein rich foods list