- 1 Information about Metronidazole
- 2 Liver safety of Metronidazole
- 3 Mechanism of action of Metronidazole
- 4 FDA approval information for Metronidazole
- 5 Clinical use of Metronidazole
- 6 Dosage and administration for Metronidazole
- 7 Side effects of Metronidazole
- 8 Antibiotics
- 9 Other anti-infective agents
- 10 Cost and Coupons - Metronidazole
- 11 Reviews for Metronidazole
- 12 Articles on Metronidazole
- 13 Learn more about Metronidazole
- 14 Help WikiMD
Information about Metronidazole
Metronidazole is a nitroimidazole derivative bactericidal agent widely used in the treatment of many anaerobic and certain protozoan and parasitic infections.
Liver safety of Metronidazole
Metronidazole has been linked to rare instances of acute, clinically apparent liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Metronidazole
Metronidazole (met" roe nid' a zole) is a nitroimidazole antibiotic that is activated by reduction of its nitro group by susceptible organisms. The activated form of metronidazole is a highly reactive radical anion which targets and damages large protein molecules and DNA. Mammalian cells do not ordinarily activate metronidazole, which accounts for its lack of toxicity in humans.
FDA approval information for Metronidazole
Metronidazole was approved for use in the United States in 1963 and currently several million prescriptions are filled yearly.
Clinical use of Metronidazole
Metronidazole is indicated for treatment and prophylaxis of infections with susceptible anaerobic bacteria and protozoa.
Dosage and administration for Metronidazole
The recommended dosage is 500 to 750 mg taken orally three times daily for 5 to 10 days. Metronidazole is available alone in tablets of 250, 375, 500 and 750 mg as well as in combination with other medications, in multiple generic formulations and under several brand names including Flagyl, Metryl, Noritate, Pylera and Helida. Other formulations include injectable solutions, extended release tablets, suppositories, and topical creams.
Side effects of Metronidazole
- antibacterial agents, classes
- leishmaniasis agents
Other anti-infective agents
Cost and Coupons - Metronidazole
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Metronidazole
- Find the lowest cost of Metronidazole
- Search for Coupons for Metronidazole
Reviews for Metronidazole
Articles on Metronidazole
- UpToDate on Metronidazole
- NIH NLH drug info on Metronidazole
- Read Wikipedia's article on Metronidazole
Learn more about Metronidazole
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.