A mango is a type of fruit. The mango tree is native to South Asia, from where it has been taken to become one of the most widely cultivated fruits in the tropics.It is harvested in the month of march(summer season) till the end of May.
Pakistan and India share the major export market of mangoes. It is also their national fruit. Ripe mangoes are very sweet in taste but they are bitterly sour before they ripen. There are many different types of mangoes found in India such as Langra, Dusshera, Chausa, Tota, Safadi. Alphonso mangoes can be found in various parts of western India.
These mangoes are also indigenous to the southern part of Nigeria, Akwa Ibom. Described by these southerners (the Ibibios) as Grade 1 mangoes.
The tree is mainly known for its fruit rather than for its wood. However, mango trees can be converted to lumber once their fruit bearing lifespan had finished. The wood is susceptible to damage from fungi and insects. The wood is used for musical instruments such as Ukeleles, plywood and low-cost furniture. The wood is also known to produce phenolic substances that can cause dermatitis. It was the state tree of Junagadh State.
Interesting facts about Mango
- Are you aware that mangoes are the most popular fruit eaten in the world? (Mangoes are as common as the apple to more than half the world.)
- Are you aware that mangoes originated in Southeast Asia or India?
- Are you aware that mangoes are over 4,000 years old?
- Are you aware that mango trees require hot, tropical weather to produce fruit?
- Are you aware that mangoes grow on trees, sometimes 60 feet tall?
- Are you aware that mangoes hang from the tree like lollipops on long stems?
- Are you aware that most of the mangoes in the United States are shipped in from Mexico, Haiti, the Caribbean and South America?
- Are you aware that Asia produces three-quarters of the world’s mangoes?
- Are you aware that India consumes the most mangoes and calls them the fruit of the gods?
- Are you aware that there are over a 1,000 varieties of mangoes?
- Are you aware that mangoes can weigh a few ounces to five pounds?
- Are you aware that mangoes range in color from yellow to green to orange or red?
- Are you aware that mangoes are juicy and taste like a combination of peach and pineapple?
- Are you aware that mangoes have a large flat stone in the middle of the fruit that is difficult to remove?
- Are you aware that mangoes are high in vitamin A? (A half of a mango contains 40% of your recommended daily value. Vitamin A is important for cell growth and development, for fighting off diseases and for good vision.)
- Are you aware that mangoes are kidney shaped?
- Are you aware that a firm mango will ripen, if left unrefrigerated, in just a few days?
Nutritional information on Mango
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named