Kiwifruit (Actinidia deliciosa) is a fruit. It has an oval shape. It is green on the inside with small black seeds that can be eaten. The kiwi has furry brown skin that is edible but is usually removed. The skin is relatively thin. The kiwi is native to South China.
There are different types of kiwifruit. The main types are Hayward (the most common green kiwifruit), chico, Saanichton 12, and golden kiwifruit. Golden kiwifruit are sweeter than normal green kiwifruit. Golden kiwifruit was invented by grafting and cross-pollinating different types of kiwifruit.
Interesting facts about Kiwifruit
Also called Green Kiwifruit Gold Kiwifruit Kiwifruit
- Are you aware that kiwifruit has been described as tasting like a combination of melon, citrus fruits, nectarines and strawberries --- all in one?
- Are you aware that kiwifruit originated in China? (It is the National Fruit of China.)
- Are you aware that the Chinese call kiwifruit yáng táo meaning “sunny peach” or mí hóu táo meaning “Macaque peach”? (A macaque is a monkey.)
- Are you aware that kiwifruit used to be called Chinese gooseberries in New Zealand?
- Are you aware that in 1959 New Zealanders changed the name to kiwifruit after their national bird, the kiwi? (The kiwi bird is small, brown and furry like the fruit.)
- Are you aware that the name kiwifruit is often shortened to “kiwi”?
- Are you aware that the first kiwifruit came to the U.S. from New Zealand in 1952?
- Are you aware that it takes almost 2 weeks for kiwi to arrive at U.S. ports from New Zealand?
- Are you aware that Italy and New Zealand are the top world producers of kiwi?
- Are you aware that most kiwifruit is green on the inside?
- Are you aware that that you can eat the tiny black seeds on the inside of the fruit?
- Are you aware that you can eat the fuzzy skin on the outside of the kiwifruit? (Just rinse and rub the skin gently, cut into quarters and eat!)
- Are you aware that you can speed up the ripening of kiwi by placing it close to, or in a bag with bananas, apples or pears? (Kiwi is sensitive to a gas, ethylene, produced by these other fruits. This gas will soften the kiwifruit.)
- Are you aware that that there are two types of kiwifruit, green and gold? (The gold was first grown in the 1980’s. It has a golden yellow flesh with tiny black seeds. It looks the same as green kiwi but with a golden color. It is also less hairy. It tastes similar to the green variety, but it has a hint of mango flavor.)
- Are you aware that that kiwi can be used as a natural meat tenderizer?
- Are you aware that there are 400 varieties of kiwifruit in China?
- Are you aware that kiwi is one of the most popular fruits today?
Nutritional information on Kiwifruit
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs