Ketogenic diet is a popular diet for both weight loss and life style that is low in carbohydrates and high in fats and protein. Most ketogenic diet plans limit the net carbohydrates to about 20 grams or less of net carbohydrates per day although up to 30-40 might be still ketogenic in some people.
Keto friendly protein sources
- Fatty fish such as salmon, tuna etc
- Animal fat
- Egg yolks
- Brazil nuts
- Coconut butter
- Cocoa butter
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Macadamia oil
- MCT oil
- Nut butter
- almond butter
- macadamia nut butter
Keto friendly protein sources
When choosing fat and meat, go for full fat ones instead of low fat.
- Fish use fatty fish such as catfish cod flounder halibut mackerel mahi-mahi salmon snapper trout tuna.
- Shellfish such as Clams oysters lobster crab scallops mussels squid
- Eggs - such as whole eggs fried eggs deviled eggs boiled eggs poached eggs and scrambled eggs
- Beef such as Ground beef steak roasts stew meat
- Pork such as Ground pork pork loin pork chops tenderloin and ham
- Poultry such as Chicken duck quail pheasant and other wild game
- Organ meats such as Heart liver kidney and tongue. Offal is one of the best sources of vitamins and nutrients
- Other Meat such as Veal Goat Lamb Turkey and other wild game.
- Bacon and Sausage (Chicken or turkey bacon or sausages are to be preferred)
Low carbohydrate nuts
Here is a list of nuts allowed on a ketogenic diet. However, nuts are very calorie dense and the usual portion size is about one to two ounces (total of 5 net carbohydrates per serving) for most of the nuts.
- Pecans - 1gram of net carbohydrates (all net carbs on the nuts are for one ounce or 28grams)
- Brazil nuts – 1.1gram of net carbohydrates
- Macadamia nuts – 1.5gram of net carbohydrates
- Walnuts – 2gram of net carbohydrates
- Hazelnuts – 2gram of net carbohydrates
- Almonds – 2gram of net carbohydrates
- Pine nuts – 2.6gram of net carbohydrates
- Peanuts – 3.7gram of net carbohydrates
- Pistachios – 4.7gram of net carbohydrates
Keto friendly seeds
- Flaxseeds -1g net carbs per 100g
- Pumpkin seeds – 1.3g net carbs per ounce
- Hemp Seeds – 1.4g net carbs per ounce
- Sesame Seeds – 2.4g net carbs per ounce
- Chia seeds – 2.2g net carbs per ounce
- Sunflower Seeds – 3g net carbs per ounce
Keto friendly vegetables
Serving Size: 1 cup (measured in grams)
- Cauliflower Net carbs of – 2.8 gram per cup
- Cabbage Net carbs of – 3 gram per cup
- Avocado (Whole) Net carbs of – 2 gram per cup
- Broccoli Net carbs of – 3.6 gram per cup
- Zucchini Net carbs of – 2.7 gram per cup
- Spinach Net carbs of – 0.4 gram per cup
- Asparagus Net carbs of – 2.4 gram per cup
- Kale Net carbs of – 5.4 gram per cup
- Green beans Net carbs of – 4 gram per cup
- Brussels sprouts Net carbs of – 4 gram per cup
- Collard greens Net carbs- 3.72 gram per cup
- Spinach - serving of 1.5 cups of fresh spinach leaves has 4 net carbs and 40 calories.
- Romaine lettuce - serving of 1 cup of romaine shredded romaine lettuce contains 1.5 g of carbs.
- Green bell pepper - serving of 1 cup of green bell pepper has about 5 net carbs.
- Baby bella mushrooms - serving Size of 0.5 cup chopped raw (35g) has 1 net carbs.
- Yellow onion - a 3.5-ounce (100-gram) portion contains 9.3 grams of carbs and 1.7 grams of fiber, net carbs of 7.6 grams.(Use half portion)
Keto friendly fruits
- Blackberries - one cup contains 6 grams of carbs.
- Strawberries - eight medium-sized (100 grams) contains 6 grams of carbs
- Raspberries - one cup has about 7 net carbs
- Avocado - half an avocado has about 2 g of net carbs (161 calories)
- Cantaloupe - ½ cup of cubed raw cantaloupe has only 5.8 g of net carbohydrates
Note: avoid blueberries as they are a bit starchier at 17 grams of net carbs per one cup
Keto friendly spices
Keto friendly condiments and sauces
- Hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salad dressings
Keto friendly sweeteners and flavors
Learn more on keto diet