Kale is a coarse curly-leafed cabbage; a hardy cabbage with coarse curly leaves that do not form a head.
Interesting facts about Kale
Other names: Flat Leaved Kale Curly Leaved Kale Kale
- Are you aware that kale leaves sprout up from a central core stem that is low to the ground?
- Are you aware that kale grows well in colder temperatures & can withstand frost?
- Are you aware that kale is often referred to as a “Super Food”?
- Are you aware that it is called a “Super Food” because 1 cup of kale contains: ✓ 206% of Vitamin A --- Good for eyes & helps heart, lungs & kidneys ✓ 134% for Vitamin C --- Protects from disease & keeps cells healthy ✓ 9% for Calcium --- Builds strong bones ✓ 684% for vitamin K --- Helps blood clot & boosts bone density ✓ 33 calories
- Are you aware that kale is also high in potassium? (Potassium helps lower blood pressure.)
- Are you aware that kale is a cruciferous vegetable? (It contains cancer preventive qualities.)
- Are you aware that kale leaves are curly or flat?
- Are you aware that kale leaves range in color from green, dark green, violet-green & violet-brown?
- Are you aware that Curly Kale has … ✓ Deep Green Leaves ✓ Fibrous Stalk ✓ Ruffled Leaves ✓ Pungent Taste w/ Bitter Peppery Flavors
- Are you aware that Flat Leaved Kale is … ✓ Known as Dinosaur, Lacinato or Tuscan ✓ Leaves w/ Embossed Texture ✓ Dark Blue-Green ✓ Sweeter & More Delicate in Taste
- Are you aware that there is ornamental kale & leaves can be white, red, pink, lavender, blue or violet?
- Are you aware that Kale is sometimes called a poor man’s food? (It is easy to grow, loaded with nutrients & inexpensive.)
- Are you aware that kale can be eaten raw in salads, added to soups, stews, stir-fries or can be boiled, steamed or baked?
- Are you aware that kale is often blended or processed into a green energy drink w/ veggies & fruits? (Kale is main ingredient because it contains many healthy nutrients.)
- Are you aware that kale can be baked & eaten like potato chips? (A Super healthy snack!)
Nutritional information on Kale
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs