A genetic predisposition, also called genetic susceptibility  is a genetic affectation which influences the phenotype of an individual organism within a species or population but by definition that phenotype can also be modified by the environmental conditions. In the rest of the population, conditions cannot have that effect. Genetic testing is able to identify individuals who are genetically predisposed to certain health problems.
Predisposition is the capacity we are born with to learn things such as language and concept of self. Negative environmental influences may block the predisposition (ability) we have to do some things. Behaviors displayed by animals can be influenced by genetic predispositions. Genetic predisposition towards certain human behaviors is scientifically investigated by attempts to identify patterns of human behavior that seem to be invariant over long periods of time and in very different cultures.
For example, philosopher Daniel Dennett has proposed that humans are genetically predisposed to have a theory of mind because there has been evolutionary selection for the human ability to adopt the intentional stance. The intentional stance is a useful behavioral strategy by which humans assume that others have minds like their own. This assumption allows you to predict the behavior of others based on personal knowledge of what you would do.
Genetic discrimination in health insurance
- Human nature
- E. O. Wilson's book on sociobiology and his book Consilience discuss the idea of genetic predisposition to behaviors
- The field of evolutionary psychology explores the idea that certain behaviors have been selected for during the course of evolution.
- The nature versus nurture debate
- Behavioral genetics
- Predispositioning Theory
- Genetic discrimination
- Psychiatric genetics
- Gene-environment correlation
- Medical genetics of Ashkenazi Jews
- Eggshell skull
- What does it mean to have a genetic predisposition to a disease?, US Department of Health
- ^ The results of this survey are discussed here (January 20, 1998).
- ^ A summary of U.S.A. executive orders and proposed legislation is compiled by the National Center for Genome Resources.
- ^ The Intentional Stance (MIT Press; Reprint edition 1989) (ISBN 0-262-54053-3)
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa centers
King of Prussia
Other weight loss blogs
W8MD's tele-weight loss - Call (718)946-5500 (NY, NJ) or (215)676-2334 for PA.
I would most definitely recommend to go to here. They are very nice helpful and know what they are doing and talking about, I can see that the doctor has experience for sure. - A patient.