Figs are the sweet,healthy,and edible fruit.They are grown on the ficus carica plant. Figs contain 21 calories,0.1 grams of fat,and 4.03 grams of sugar.
Interesting facts about Figs
- Are you aware that figs are one of the oldest fruits?
- Are you aware that figs were brought to the U.S. by Spanish missionaries settling in southern California in 1759?
- Are you aware that there are hundreds of varieties of figs?
- Are you aware that figs have white, green, purple or black skin?
- Are you aware that fresh figs can be round, flat, oval or elongated?
- Are you aware that the flesh of fresh figs ranges in color from yellowish white to a deep reddish pink?
- Are you aware that most fresh figs are full of tiny, crunchy seeds that are eaten?
- Are you aware that the skin of fresh figs is edible?
- Are you aware that California is the top producer of figs in the U.S.?
- Are you aware that figs are very fragile and must be handled with extreme care by shippers? (This is the reason fresh figs are expensive.)
- Are you aware that figs are primarily dried because they are so fragile?
- Are you aware that you can use dried fig puree in baked good recipes to replace some of the fat? (Only use half of the amount of oil, shortening, margarine or butter in the recipe. Replace the other half of the recipe amount with fig puree. To make fig puree simply place 2 cups dried figs, ¾ cup water and 2 teaspoons of vanilla in a blender or food processor.)
- Are you aware that there is a variety called the “Mission fig”? (It was named after the mission monks who were the first to plant this variety in California.)
- Are you aware that although the fig is considered a fruit it is actually a flower inverted into it’ self?
- Are you aware that figs are a common food in the Mediterranean?
Nutritional information on Figs
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs