- 1 Information about Dimenhydrinate
- 2 Liver safety of Dimenhydrinate
- 3 Mechanism of action of Dimenhydrinate
- 4 Dosage and administration for Dimenhydrinate
- 5 Side effects of Dimenhydrinate
- 6 Cost and Coupons - Dimenhydrinate
- 7 Reviews for Dimenhydrinate
- 8 Articles on Dimenhydrinate
- 9 Learn more about Dimenhydrinate
- 10 Help WikiMD
Information about Dimenhydrinate
Liver safety of Dimenhydrinate
Dimenhydrinate has not been linked to instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Dimenhydrinate
Dimenhydrinate (dye" men hye' dri nate) is the 8-chlorotheophylline salt of diphenhydramine and, thus, combines a first generation antihistamine with a xanthine that is added to counteract the drowsiness caused by diphenhydramine. This combination was approved as an over-the-counter agent in 2004 and is used largely for prevention of motion sickness and nausea.
Dosage and administration for Dimenhydrinate
Dimenhydrinate is available in multiple generic forms as tablets 25 or 50 mg or oral solutions, most of which are available without prescription, a common brand name being Dramamine. A liquid formulation for intramuscular use is also available. The typical adult oral dose is 50 mg taken an hour before expected travel and up to three or four times daily.
Side effects of Dimenhydrinate
Common side effects include sedation, impairment of motor function, confusion, dizziness, blurred vision, dry mouth and throat, palpitations, tachycardia, abdominal distress, constipation and headache. Antihistamines can worsen urinary retention and glaucoma.
First Generation Antihistamines
Second Generation Antihistamines
Cost and Coupons - Dimenhydrinate
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Dimenhydrinate
- Find the lowest cost of Dimenhydrinate
- Search for Coupons for Dimenhydrinate
Reviews for Dimenhydrinate
Articles on Dimenhydrinate
- UpToDate on Dimenhydrinate
- NIH NLH drug info on Dimenhydrinate
- Read Wikipedia's article on Dimenhydrinate
Learn more about Dimenhydrinate
- Dailymed label info on Dimenhydrinate
- Scientific articles on Dimenhydrinate
- Images for Dimenhydrinate
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Drugs.|