(Redirected from Butternut Squash)
Butternut squash is a buff-colored squash with a long usually straight neck and sweet orange flesh; plant bearing buff-colored squash having somewhat bottle-shaped fruit with fine-textured edible flesh and a smooth thin rind.
Fun facts about Butternut squash
- Are you aware that butternut squash is a winter squash? (Winter squash is harvested at a mature age which makes its skin hard. Winter squash is always served cooked.)
- Are you aware that New Jersey ranks 6th in squash (includes summer and winter) production in the country?
- Are you aware that butternut squash has a smooth cream-beige shell or skin?
- Are you aware that butternut squash is medium in size with a pear shape?
- Are you aware that butternut squash is orange on the inside?
- Are you aware that butternut squash grows on a vine?
- Are you aware that butternut squash has small seeds on the inside? (The seeds can be roasted or toasted and eaten as a snack.)
- Are you aware that butternut squash originated from Mexico?
- Are you aware that butternut squash can be baked, roasted, grilled, boiled,
- pureed or mashed into soups, casseroles, breads or muffins?
- Are you aware that the skin of butternut squash softens when roasted or baked and is edible?
- Are you aware that butternut squash can be prepared like mashed potatoes and is delicious?
- Are you aware that butternut squash should not be refrigerated until it is cut?
- Are you aware that butternut squash is a good source of vitamin C, fiber and potassium? (Vitamin C is needed by the body to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle, and blood vessels, and aids in the absorption of iron. Fiber is important for healthy digestion. Potassium balances the fluids in your body, is important for normal blood pressure, muscle growth and the functioning of the brain and nervous system.)
- Are you aware that butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A? (Vitamin A is important for cell growth and development, for fighting off diseases and for good vision.)
|Fiber, total dietary||2 g|
|Calcium, Ca||48 mg|
|Iron, Fe||0.7 mg|
|Vitamin A, IU||10630 IU|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||21 mg|
|Total lipid (fat)||0.1 g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||11.69 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||2.2 g|
|Sodium, Na||4 mg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||0.021 g|
Nutritional information on Butternut squash
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs