In medicine, agenesis () refers to the failure of an organ to develop during embryonic growth and development due to the absence of primordial tissue. Many forms of agenesis are referred to by individual names, depending on the organ affected:
- Agenesis of the corpus callosum- failure of the Corpus callosum to develop
- Renal agenesis- failure of one or both of the kidneys to develop
- Phocomelia- failure of the arms or legs to develop
- Penile agenesis- failure of penis to develop
- Müllerian agenesis - failure of the uterus and part of the vagina to develop
Eye agenesis is a medical condition in which sufferers are born with no eyes.
Dental & oral agenesis
- Anodontia, absence of all primary or permanent teeth.
- Aglossia, absence of the tongue.
- Agnathia, absence of the jaw.
Ear agenesis is a medical condition in which people are born without ears.
Because the middle and inner ears are necessary for hearing, people with complete agenesis of the ears suffer from total deafness. Minor agenesis that affects only the visible parts of the outer ear, which may be called microtia, typically produces cosmetic concerns and perhaps hearing impairment if the opening to the ear canal is blocked, but not deafness.